Sunday, March 5, 2000

Author's Note


Dawn is coming up in Toronto now: 5:30 A.M. I can hear the rumble of the early morning traffic outside my window and the chirps of a hundred starlings waiting for their morning feed. The big-city engine is starting to rev and any minute now the masses will be in teeth-grinding frenzy as everyone and everything is getting ready for the race to begin...

In any given city, on any given day, you can find hundreds-of-thousands of people scurrying here and there, desperate to get ahead, to make it on time, to meet whatever deadline that hangs over their head. Perhaps there is a comfortable kind of consistency, some sort of solace, found in the daily Rat Race. Any $200-an-hour psychiatrist could probably explain this to me, in eight or nine sessions, but I don't have time for that.

I have spent enough time in the Rat Race to know that most nine-to-fivers lead pretty dull lives. They are bored with their daily routines: wake, shit, eat, work, sleep and fuck every now and then. It's no wonder some of them drift over the edge into cheap thrills once in awhile: Vegas, cards, hookers, drugs and of course adventure travel. There has to be a powerful adrenalin rush in breaking the dull existence these zombies call living.

Why not? Anything that gets the heart pumping like a locomotive is good for the reflexes and keeps the cholesterol down... but too many adrenalin rushes are addictive and it's only a matter of time before the zombie starts raving and babbling in a blog about things that only a person who has been there can possibly understand.

Some of the gibberish in this blog will not make sense to anybody except the people who have been over that proverbial edge. Living by your own set-of-rules has its own language, which is often so complex that it borders on a secret code. The trick is learning how to translate - to make sense so the readers will stay in tune.

The point I meant to make here - before we wandered off on a tangent about zombies and adrenalin- is that everything in this blog will be written about my travels and experiences in South America. A trip that might be so confusing and unpredictable that even I might not know what is happening. But what the Hell? Life is full of those moments. Right? Right!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) +918376918351 Thank you.