Friday, March 24, 2000

Watch out for Hippies... The World hasn't missed a Beat and Ham Sandwiches in the Woods are good for You...


Since last week’s blog, I’ve been traversing the diverse wilderness of Patagonia, discovering new experiences, thoughts and pondering a feeling about nature and our place in it. Ah but never mind that shite right? For a minute there I was starting to sound like some strung-out new-age-hippy discussing the virtues of nature. But I can’t pretend. I really did believe that this time the world would be a better place upon my return.

This week some big events happened in the world. Russia wants to do more business in Iraq, food prices are soaring worldwide, Bhutan brought down the curtain on a century of absolute monarchy and China finally let the war drums roll on Tibet… Yes sir the world and the statutory business of progression sure didn’t miss a step this week. Did it?


“Won’t someone save the world?”
--Ed Vedder.

I want to take this sentence, and the next, to thank the media for never letting me down, even when I try to escape from all of its senseless confessions and truths about the world. Thank you for reminding me that Vampires still exist casting their shadows on the truth for nothing less than a fistful of $100 bills. Mucho Gracias…

Well… so much for righteousness and big thoughts. By the time I left for Banos de Queni, a small and pristine lake nestled along the Argentine and Chilean border in Lanin National Park, the radio reports –according to the Wall Street Journal – said the Chinese were deploying armed forces to try to stop the biggest protests in almost 20 years spreading beyond the Himalayan region.

I sat staring out the window wondering if the radios of the other cars crackled with this news. Probably not. After all Tibet is worlds away when you are driving 140 km, risking life and limb, to get the best camp site by the lake before the rest of the holiday weekenders arrive. Yes the Long weekend Muskoka frame of mind also exists in Argentina…

Back to business… The mercury has been rising for decades and it was only a matter of time before the Chinese government decided to cure what it regards as a disease impeding on China’s natural right to occupy Tibet. I have a great fondness for Tibet, its spiritual leader his Holiness the Dalai Lama and deep appreciation for its culture and tradition.

The Chinese government says the Dalai Lama is to blame for all this unrest and violence. The exiled Tibetan spiritual leader is attempting to take this summer’s Olympic Games hostage and force China to make concessions on Tibetan independence.

Perhaps China is right about the Dalai Lama’s strategy. Maybe the Dalai Lama is dabbling in some cheap thrills, but I doubt it. Anyone can see through all this PR gibberish spewed out by the Chinese government.

And how is the International Olympic Committee handling this horrible situation it got itself into?

Well… IOC president Jacques Rogge said he is engaged in "silent diplomacy" with China on Tibet and other human rights issues in advance of the Beijing Olympics. Rogge also reiterated his –long-standing position— that the IOC is not a political organization and cannot interfere in the internal affairs of China. But he stressed that he is involved in private dialogue with Chinese leaders and insisted the human rights situation has improved since Beijing got the games seven years ago.

What the hell is Rogge thinking, or is he thinking? The Olympic Games in China are and always have been a political event followed by a sporting event. These games are going to be fun; and whoever is the PR agency-of-Record for the 2008 Olympics, take heed. All the positive publicity in the world cannot erase China’s human rights record. Just ask George Bush about his holiday camp in Cuba.

Speaking about camping, all is not lost. I did have a wonderful experience at Lago Queni. I have lived through 35 summer camping seasons, a few wars and natural disasters but I’ll be dipped in shit if this wasn’t one of the sweetest moments I’ve spent in Argentina or camping for that matter.

I was minding my own business, eating a ham sandwich, when she came along meowing, hungry and overly friendly. After all I was holding a ham sandwich and in this neck of the woods that’s a royal flush Buster! But more than just sharing my only food for the day with this beautiful being, I realized my place in nature and what truly moves me.

If only the leaders of our world could break- bread with each other and realize it’s not about prices or commoditizing and owning everything. It’s about sharing, making that connection with a being and playing the game fair enough so when it’s all said and done we were good to each other.

Sorry I lied. Those hippies got to me…

Thanks to the Associated Press and Bloomberg news for the footnotes on this week’s events and for Queni for reassuring me that outside of wars, the media and ham sandwiches in the woods there is goodness… You were good for me.

No comments: