Wednesday, April 5, 2000

It's the End of the World & that's When it Mattered Most...


“The dogs on Main Street howl cause they understand that I could take one moment into my hands…“
-B. Springsteen


So it’s another week come-and-gone and we’ve all found ourselves a bit farther into the journey… Some of us may have drifted a bit too far from the shore this week; perhaps into darkness, on a wave too big to handle like the long-arm-of-the-law or possibly in a secret thought. Maybe on one of those long 9-5 days, where your mind slips in-and-out of a dream as you stare at the computer screen dreaming yourself in some foreign land, speaking a different language, living a life you saw in some Saturday afternoon movie, smuggling contraband over a border in the dead of night. Who knows? But pretty soon someone or something is going to take charge of those thoughts. Right? Enchallah.

Ahh…But never mind those things... Some of us have been busy risking it all this week, spending the weekly pay-packet on that dirty, yet beautiful, whore who shares the same unmade bed as Desire and Lust – Experience.

Thank you to all those who’ve followed all my gibberish or just hit the link and closed the page…Bueno!


Yours truly spent the last part of this week at the “End of the World”, Fin de la Mundo”, in Ushuaia, Argentina, where outdoor enthusiasts pay big-bucks to try and find the best in themselves in waist-deep freshwater streams, but end up catching only lousy 10-ounce trout which they tell the folks back home was three-heavyweight-fighting pounds of endurance. Yes Sir that's what Life must be about...

Fittingly, I never considered myself an outdoor-enthusiast who put his faith in an ability to harness nature with $500 fishing gear or the latest North-Face jacket. Those are powers well beyond my comprehension, decisions I leave for rank-and-file marketing executives who sit in fancy offices, on some high-floor of some big-city tower, with a majestic view of the World and all its answers... It’s not my view folks, not my world…

Yes Sir I'm full of rash commentary this week...

Behind all that expensive camouflage, Mother Nature is a fine upstanding lady, believe me folks. I’ve been in her arms many a time. The warmth of her kind is rare and always picturesque. She taught me most of what I know about life, form and the moment of living in the meantime.

So to get to the point… I climbed another mountain today, literally. But not to the top, just three-quarters of the way. My shortcoming was a small Glacier known as “Martial”, that reminded me once again that running shoes on icy mountains are like Whiskey and Apple Pie after Sunday night’s dinner. They don’t make for a happy Monday morning. Do they?

But it’s easy to get carried away when you’re licking a sweet, sticky stick of honey dew… Isn’t it? You know what I’m talkin’ about. But the creature that I am knows where I stand. In one hand holds a hammer, in the other a torch. With one I’ve built with the other… Well you get the point as we’ve all been there…

What I learned today… Sometimes I find reasons other times I fall short. It’s like Venus waking up and finding that the Sun is gone, like winter not having a reason to end, like me knowing all the answers…

And that’s what I learned today.

I’m still learning…

BTD

No comments: